If you are anywhere near Shawnee, Kansas between June and August you must make a point to take in a show at The Theatre in the Park at Shawnee Mission Park.
Theatre in the Park is the largest outdoor community theater in the country. Everyone from performers to musicians, promotional and clean-up are all volunteers.
2009 marked the 40th anniversary of The Theatre in the Park and, judging by the crowd the night we went, it’s a popular event during the season. Also very affordable with admission only $8 for adults, $6 for youth ages 4-10, and children 3 and under are free. (Prices were correct at the time of print. Please check Theatre in the Park website for any changes.)
We saw The Wedding Singer, which was incredible, and The Wizard of Oz will end this year’s season.
Helpful hints for when you go:
- Seating is first come/ first served. Bring lawn chairs and/ or blankets. There is a blanket only area- very thoughtful so you don’t get stuck behind chairs.
- If you don’t want to lug a chair with you you can now reserve one; available for advance purchase only.
- Tickets may be purchased in advance or at the gate.
- No smoking or alcohol; flash photography or video taping of the performance are prohibited.
- Limited concessions are available before and during the performance.
- Two modern rest rooms are on the site (read: not port-a-potties!)
- Bring a picnic and enjoy your evening! There is also open area for the kids to run around, toss a ball or play frisbee before the show.