- Heritage Travel – How to Plan Your Ancestry Tour | Exploring the Midwest Podcast Episode 35
After you've found your ancestors and traced them back to your ‘homeland' it's natural you will want to visit. Today we're going to talk about a few things you should do before taking a heritage tour. Allison Singleton is Senior Librarian at The Genealogy Center and the Allen County Public Library in Fort Wayne, Indiana….
- Tips for Tracing Your Ancestors in the Midwest | Exploring the Midwest Podcast Episode 34
No matter where in the US you call home it's likely that your ancestors passed through the Midwest to get there. Guest Allison Singleton, Senior Librarian, Virtual Programming Coordinator, and Acting Genealogy Services Manager in the Genealogy Center at the Allen County Public Library shares Midwest genealogy tips for tracing your family's migration to and through the Midwest.
- The Genealogy Center | Exploring the Midwest Podcast Episode 33
The Genealogy Center in Fort Wayne, Indiana is the 2nd largest family research collection in North America. Genealogy tips for beginners.
- Fall Getaway Spotlight: Allerton Park | Exploring the Midwest Podcast Episode 32
Last Updated on September 29, 2021 by Jody Halsted This month on the podcast we are preparing for the most colorful time of the year – and the places to visit to make the most of prime ‘leaf peeping'. Today we are traveling to central Illinois where elegant gardens and extensive woodlands invite you to discover the treasures within before you…
- Fall Getaway Spotlight: Anaway Place | Exploring the Midwest Podcast Episode 31
In the Driftless Region of southwest Wisconsin the unique cabins at Anaway Place offer an incredible fall escape.
- Fall Getaway Spotlight: The Mohicans | Exploring the Midwest Podcast Episode 30
Escape to an Ohio treehouse this fall! Get back in nature at The Mohicans Treehouse Resort and Wedding Venue.
- The Cranberry Highway in Wisconsin | Exploring the Midwest Podcast Episode 29
Discover Wisconsin's #1 fruit! Explore the Cranberry Highway in Wisconsin with Meredith Kleker, Executive Director of the Wisconsin Rapids Area CVB.
- The Butler County Donut Trail | Exploring the Midwest Podcast Episode 28
You won't find any chain shops on the Butler County Donut Trail in Ohio! Tips for tackling this sweet food trail!
- The B-Line in Northern Kentucky | Exploring the Midwest Podcast Episode 27
data-pin-description=”The B-Line in Kentucky – where B means bourbon. Learn more about bourbon, the ‘sipping points' along the trail & activities in Northern Kentucky with guest Julie Kirkpatrick, creator of ‘the B-Line', and president of Meet NKY.”
- Kansas City Kansas Taco Trail | Exploring the Midwest Podcast Episode 26
There are over 50 establishments on the Kansas City Kansas Taco Trail – and they aren't all traditional restaurants! Kansas City Kansas tips
- Food Trails in Indiana | Exploring the Midwest Podcast Episode 25
Last Updated on August 2, 2021 by Jody Halsted This month on the podcast I am celebrating the taste of the Midwest. Yep- it's all about the FOOD. I really think you can learn a lot about a place by tasting their traditions – which is why I love food trails! So it seemed only…
- Kansas State Fair | Exploring the Midwest Podcast Episode 24
Last Updated on July 26, 2021 by Jody Halsted Wrapping up ‘State Fair Season' with the final state fair in the Midwest.Kansas State Fair begins after Labor Day – on September 10 in 2021- and runs for 10 days. My guest Ed Burger, Interim General manager for the Kansas State Fair, is going to share the history and highlights…
- Indiana State Fair | Exploring the Midwest Podcast Episode 23
Last Updated on July 20, 2021 by Jody Halsted Continuing ‘State Fair Season' with the Midwest state fair that runs the longest. The Indiana State Fair takes place from July 30 thru August 22 in 2021 – a grand total of 18 days, a week longer than most state fairs. My guest Sharon Smith, Director of Communications for the Indiana State Fairgrounds…
- Iowa State Fair | Exploring the Midwest Podcast Episode 22
Last Updated on July 13, 2021 by Jody Halsted I am so excited to kick off ‘State Fair Season' with the country's most famous state fair! As the inspiration for the novel “State Fair” by Phil Strong, three motion pictures, a smash Broadway musical by Rodgers and Hammerstein, and loads of national accolades, the Iowa State Fair…
- Quirky Museum: Roadside Sideshow Expo | Exploring the Midwest Podcast Episode 21
Last Updated on June 29, 2021 by Jody Halsted Perhaps the quirkiest museum ever with the most tongue-twisting name is the World's Largest Collection of the World's Smallest Versions of the World's Largest Things, housed in the Roadside Sideshow Expo in Lucas, Kansas. Erika Nelson is the artist and creator of this once-traveling but now…