Last Updated on February 10, 2016 by Jody Halsted
Being as I love adventure (of the travel kind) and I'm not one to pass up an opportunity when my husband began commuting to Boston every week I looked into a way for the girls and I to join him. First, it was hard on all of us for him to fly out on Sunday afternoon and fly back late Friday night. Second, I worked the numbers and realized that his company could save so much money if they
a) rented a small vacation house for a longer period instead of a hotel weekly
b) rented the car for a long period instead of weekly
c) Doug had a kitchen instead of eating out 3 times a day
d) didn't have to fly him back every week
And that is how we came to the decision to pack up a few things and transfer ourselves to Boston for 7 weeks. Corporate approved it last week (of course they did- it's saving them thousands!) and we leave Saturday. As in two days from now. Which is why I should not be on the computer right now.
But before I sign off, a few facts.
- We are staying in a lovely 3-bedroom house with a sunny dining nook that we found on HomeAway.
- We are driving from central Iowa to Boston. We had actually planned to take the train but Amtrak isn't very user friendly- not one of the Iowa stations allows you to check bags and we would have had to get two sleepers.
- We'll spend three days driving, arriving Monday, February 16, in Scituate. I'll do my best to fill you in along the way.
- We haven't completely decided on a route yet, but are considering crossing a bit of Canada and re-entering the US at Niagara Falls.
- My daughters have never taken a car trip this long. Things could get really interesting as my youngest is potty training (her decision, not mine)
Because we'll be exploring for the next 2 months I am sure to have new destinations, tips and stories to share!