As you drive west across Kansas you begin to understand the sentiment the inspired Brewster Higley to pen ‘My Western Home’ – later known as ‘Home on the Range’.
My guest today is Colby Sharples Terry, PR & Communications Manager for Kansas Tourism.
What topics would you like to hear about on the podcast?
Email email@example.com to share your ideas!
If you enjoyed the podcast please leave a 5* review at Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, or Android. If you can’t leave a review on your podcast app take a screenshot and tag me on Instagram @jodyhalsted with a few kind words!
Kansas is a state that, if you enter along the eastern border and the Missouri River, feels very urban, but as you continue west you really feel that wide open space where you can, at times, feel like you are completely alone.
People tend to think that Kansas is flat and boring – but they couldn’t be more wrong!
Kansas Tourism Highlights
- Little Jerusalem Badlands State Park
- Monument Rocks
- Mount Sunflower, the highest point in Kansas
- Flint Hills
- Tall Grass Prairie National Preserve
- Civil War and Underground Railroad history
- Strata salt mine in Hutchinson
- Ellenwood speakeasy and tunnels
Cities & Towns in Kansas
- Wichita is the largest city in Kansas – great food, breweries, saloons & outdoor experiences
- Lucas is the Grassroots Art Capital
- Wilson, the Czech capitol of Kansas
- Linsborg is known as Little Sweden USA
- Nicodemus was a town settled by freed slaves
- Kansas City Barbeque
- Kansas City Kansas taco trail
- Chicken wars – Chicken Annie’s vs Chicken Mary’s
- Farm to Table
Kansas Center of the USA
The geographical center of the ‘lower 48’ is in Kansas. The small church at the site never closes.
And, not far from that you’ll find the log cabin where Home on the Range was written.
Top 3 Kansas Events in 2021
Santa Fe Trail 200th Anniversary
2021 Medicine Lodge Peace Treaty Pageant (This is an every 3 year event)
49th Annual Walnut Valley Festival
Request Your Kansas Travel Guide
Choose to get the Kansas Travel Guide or one of the specialty guides at TravelKS.com