Last Updated on July 4, 2016 by Jody Halsted
Friday Finds is your weekly spot for travel tips, money saving travel deals and travel contests to enter. Get Friday Finds delivered to your reader or inbox!
Travel Tip: Pack a Bandana
- Head covering
- Head band
- Soak in water and wrap around neck to cool off
- Tie to a stick and fill (like Tom Sawyer)
- Personal “table” cloth
- Dish rag
- Wrist guards (great if you're dealing with bushes and branches)
Do you have any other uses for bandanas? Let's hear them!
Halloween with Shrek at Gaylord Palms
The Halloween candy is already lining store shelves, so it must be time to begin thinking about dressing up, trick or treating and getting scared…. Shrekless. Having attended the ICE Shrek the Halls celebration last winter, I know the Gaylord Palms can throw an event like no other!
Gaylord Palms Resort invites guests to come out and experience Halloween a little early this year during Scared Shrekless Family Fun, an interactive experience featuring beloved characters from DreamWorks Animation SKG Inc.’s Madagascar franchise and this summer’s hit film Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted, along with friends from the Shrek and Kung Fu Panda franchises.
Package guests can dress up in their most spooktacular costumes; trick-or-treat around the resort’s 4.5 acres of gardens; participate in a kids’costume contest with prizes; make ooey, gooey Swamp Sludge; dive into fun at the Madagascar Crack-A-Lackin’ Pool Party and much more ghoulish fun!
Scared Shrekless Family Fun at Gaylord Palms offers families a safe and weather controlled environment to celebrate the Halloween holiday. Overnight packages begin at $179 and are available on October 13 and October 27. For more information visit www.DreamWorksExperienceatGaylordPalms.com or call 407-586-2000.
- One night room accommodations
- Trick or Treat Bag welcome amenity
- Costumed trick-or-treating around the resort atriums, with candy passed out at each stop by favorite DreamWorks characters from movies such as Shrek, Puss In Boots, Madagascar 3 ‘Europe's Most Wanted' and Kung Fu Panda
- Learn to make Swamp Sludge at our Halloween craft station
- Kids' Costume Contest with prizes
- Madagascar Crack-a-Lackin' Pool Party
- Puss In Boots Quest for the Magic Beans Scavenger Hunt
- Special wake-up calls by DreamWorks characters
Can't make it to Florida? You can find Halloween fun at the other Gaylord properties, too: Gaylord Opryland in Nashville, Gaylord National near Washington DC, and the Gaylord Texan in Grapevine (near Dallas).
Win a Getaway to Stillwater, Minnesota
When I lived in St. Paul, I loved taking day trips to Stillwater. The river town, on the banks of the St. Croix River, is the birthplace of Minnesota. Victorian mansions sit high on the bluffs, overlooking a bustling Main Street filled with quaint shops, boutique B&Bs and tempting restaurants. I love that this getaway package gives you the option of where to stay.
This package for two includes:
• $300 voucher for overnight lodging of choice at any of Stillwater's hotels or B&B's
• Breakfast each morning at your lodging property
• Paddlewheel Cruise with lunch on the St. Croix River
• Trolley Tour of Historic Stillwater
Friday Finds are tips, deals and vacation contests that I believe are of interest to family travelers. Advertisers may purchase a listing in Family Rambling’s Friday Finds; I verify that the deal is available when the article is posted. Some links may be affiliates links- which means that I receive a small commission if you make a purchase at the site (no additional cost to you!)- or sponsored material (which I will disclose). If you are interested in information about being listed in Family Rambling’s Friday Finds post, please send me email: jody (at) familyrambling (dot) com.