Last Updated on November 10, 2015 by Jody Halsted
A couple of months ago I was privileged to offer my readers a chance to win a $5000 Austin Lehman Adventure. Entries poured in from Family Rambling and other travel blogs- nearly 3000 entries were received. And the lucky winner had entered through Family Rambling! Which means that I won a matching prize- and now we have to decide where to go. Which is much more difficult than it seems. Questions abound:
- Do we take the girls?
- Should we have an “adults only” trip?
- Do we want to stay in the US?
- How active do we want to be?
I was getting no closer to a decision, so I decided to ask the expert, Dan Austin, CEO of Austin-Lehman Adventures to help me figure out how to choose our perfect adventure vacation. In the following interview we discuss:
- (00:40) The History of Austin-Lehman Adventures
- (02:00) How to Choose Your Family Adventures
- (05:40) At What Age Are Kids Most Ready to Take an Adventure Vacation
- (07:30) What is The Favorite “Couple's Only” Trip
- (08:38) How Fit Do You Need to be to Take an Adventure Vacation?
- (12:25) What to Bring on an Adventure Tour (See “The Art of Packing” by Carol Austin on the ALA YouTube Channel)
- (14:46) What to Leave Home (hint: don't bring the Nintendo)
- (16:55) What is Included in an Austin Lehman Adventure
- (18:25) Why Austin Lehman Doesn't Offer any Adventures in Ireland
- (19:28) Dan's Final Thoughts on Adventure Travel
Despite Dan's incredibly great advice, I am still torn on which trip we should choose. I truly desire to take my girls on one of the family Montana vacations. I want them to see the majesty of the mountains. Heck, I want to see the mountains… And because small group travel can be customized- and my girls are expert travelers- I think they would do wonderfully. And really, Dan was right when he said that everyone should experience National Parks trips at least once in their life.
Then again, Doug and I haven't had a “couple's vacation” since we went to London in May 2003- before we had kids. Though the family Europe vacations look incredible- my dream would be the Alps to Salzburg bike trip- I know my girls wouldn't do well on that. If we do a couples only trip we have narrowed our choices down to: Holland- Netherlands Highlights, Utah- Arches to Moab or Arizona- Grand Canyon & Sedona.
What would you do? Please leave your input in the comments- help us decide!
Have you been on a adventure vacation? Please tell me about it in the comments!
PLUS: One comment will receive a Family Rambling Travel Journal and a copy of 100 Places to Take Your Kids Before They Grow Up. Just as my way of saying “thanks” for your input. (Leave your comment by July 24, one winner will be chosen via Random.org on July 25.)