A couple of weeks ago I was approached by a representative of the St. Louis Convention and Visitor’s Commission (CVC) about the possibility of my family traveling to St. Louis to, well, Explore St. Louis.
So… What should we do? It’s been quite a while since I’ve been to St. Louis and my girls have never been. It will be a great adventure for all of us!
Here are a few things we are considering:
- Top of the Gateway Arch (this is a must in my “touristy” book)
- the new City Garden: while it may be filled with art I’m most attracted by the plants and the three fountains for the girls to splash in! It will also be walkable from our hotel. Plus it’s free.
- The Anheuser Busch brewery tour. Also free.
- Missouri Botanical Gardens
- the zoo. Paid parking but free (with some attractions that have fees)
- Grant’s Farm. Costs for parking but admission is free.
- the Magic House. Free on the 3rd Friday of each month (hey, that’s when we’ll be there!) after 5:30
- A carriage tour (yes, it’s touristy but we always have great conversations with the drivers and learn so much about the city we’re visiting)
- A riverboat cruise would be fun
- Wabash Frisco & Pacific Steam Railway
We only have 2 1/2 days- I know we can’t fit all that in. And there is so much more we would like to do!
Now, let’s talk about food. One place we’re definitely going is the McGurks for dinner- and hopefully some music- they have it nightly!! Maybe lunch on a riverboat cruise? Possibly breakfast at Terrace View in City Garden? Charlie Gitto’s is supposed to be legendary. Tea at the London Tea Room (it’s the closest I’ll be getting to London for a few years). Doug would appreciate some BBQ, I’m sure. What’s not-to-be-missed eats in St. Louis?
What would you like to see us do, eat or explore? Give me your suggestions and recommendations!
Full disclosure: While we are paying for our gas money to get to St. Louis and back all of the expenses we incur while there will be covered by the CVC. While the CVC is sponsoring our trip all the decisions and thoughts about where we go, what we do, see, eat, etc. will be my own. Please see my disclosure policy for more specific information.